WHAT IS A ROGUE SECURITY SOFTWARE?
do an essay for me
Rogue security software is a form of internet fraud using computer malware (malicious software) that deceives or misleads users into paying money for fake or simulated removal of malware or claims to get rid of malware, but instead introduces malware to the computer.
Rogue security software has become a growing and serious security threat in desktop computing in recent years (from 2008 on).
Some rogue security software might also:
- Lure you into a fraudulent transaction (for example, upgrading to a non-existent paid version of a program).
- Use social engineering to steal your personal information.
- Install malware that can go undetected as it steals your data.
- Launch pop-up windows with false or misleading alerts.
- Slow your computer or corrupt files.
- Disable Windows updates or disable updates to legitimate antivirus software.
- Prevent you from visiting antivirus vendor websites.
Example of a warning from a rogue security program known as AntivirusXP.
Cyber Security is the name of such a Misleading Application (rogue software) designed to display false information, such as claiming your system is infected with malicious threats or other system errors.
Misleading applications may also perform annoying actions or inconvenience the user in order to coerce them into purchasing software to remove the nonexistent threats or errors reported.
o Help protect yourself from rogue security software:
- Install a firewall and keep it turned on.
- Use automatic updating to keep your operating system and software up to date.
- Install antivirus and antispyware software and keep it updated.
- If your antivirus software does not include antispyware software, you should install a separate antispyware program and keep it updated. e.g Windows Defender
- Use caution when you click links in email or on social networking websites.
- Use a standard user account instead of an administrator account.
- Familiarize yourself with common phishing scams.